Thursday, November 23, 2017

November Meeting - including Show and Tell

Good day Fiber Artists!

Thank you for your patience in waiting for this post.  A few of our fellow members and I were blissfully quilting away at our neighborhood's quilting club's retreat in Springdale.  Boy howdy was it pretty while we were there.  One member was not quilting so much as creating a little fiber art.  I suspect she will be bringing her goodies to show and tell pretty soon.

OK down to business.  First, thank you again Charlotte for the great soy milk and pigment presentation.  We all look forward to see what our ladies come up with when trying it out.  Second, don't forget your postcard and dish for potluck for Decembers meeting (Dec. 5).  direct any questions about the postcard to our fearless leader Cheryl.

Now onto the pics (click to enlarge):

I'm gonna start with Maryanne.  She is our newest member.  Welcome lady!  She offered up her flower she made in  class she took where they sort of impromptu flower designed.  No real pattern, they just created.  Nice work!

Sherry Sarino offered a crayon depiction of seashell and...I will call it the "Visine Eyeball".  Haha!  I don't think she will be offended.  I think it was a neat little experiment involving wind, salt and paint.  Looking forward to seeing what she does with it.
I'll get a pic of Sherry next time.  Opted to shoot close of art
 Next up Doris Claude and her Doxidog.  I didn't record the particulars on it because I was too busy looking at it and then trying to ensure it got passed my way.  Ahem.  I am mesmerized by dogs.  Even inanimate ones.  It was beautiful up close so be sure to click to enlarge.  I know she thread stitched and appliqued (check out the back and front leg.  Purple.  Perfect.)  She really captured a lot of personality in her dachshund.

And here is a stained glass quilt by Janey Argyle.  Hard to see in the picture, but it is shimmery.  I think she said she painted glitter on it, but it has the effect of Jacquard metallic paint.  Then she quilted it with what looks like drizzling rain in metalic thread.  She isn't done with this though. She is adding shrubbery to it. 

Here we have a splendid Spoonflower transfer of Karen Andrus' granddaughter to which she embellished with acrylics, pastels and intense pencils.

Here Rosemary Hargrove is showing "Seven Wives BnB" which is actually a sneak peak for us!  She is doing January's program for us entitled "More than Cotton" where we will get to know the different fabrics out thereand get to thinking of how we might use them.  So here she did a crazy patch she learned in a Judith Montono seminar.  The embroidery is done by hand with silk ribbon and sever other threads.

Cathie Purdy brought in a sample of some echo dying she did.  I believe it is on Cotton, but wouldn't it be something on a silk scarf?  Very interesting effect that she should consider showing us how to do.  👱


And another anonymous artist.  Just kiddin ya.  It is Nickie Heying's work "Front Porch" up close.  I wanted you to see the picture she used and how she chose to put it to cotton.  IRL the plant stand out.  I think she sulky threaded it.

And here is Barbara Nilsson.  Wish I caught this up close.  She took a whole cloth scene and changed the entire background by fussy cutting removing many background trees and inserted blue sky, plus added a fallen tree, second water fall, flowers and extra foliage. She used Inktense pencils to add shadows and high lights to entire piece. The water falls, trees, bushes, grass etc. were thread painted. In the foreground she used Noriko Endo-esque confetti for flowers and leaves.  She would probably strangle for saying this - but she should teach a class on the Noriko Endo confetti.  I am writing it.  Not SAYING it.

And last but not least we have Cindy Oxley and her Crayon and thread painted landscape.  I think this is her first real go at thread painting.  Well done lady.

Alrighty.  If I did not accurately describe your piece or God forbid - forgot someone, can you shoot me a mail or leave a comment below.  If I wrote you and you didn't get back to me yet - well get on the stick! Shoot me a mail and I will edit the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!